Senior Farmer’s Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP)
The SFMNP provides low-income seniors with $40 in SFMNP checks to purchase fresh, nutritious, unprepared, unprocessed, locally grown fruits, vegetables, honey and fresh-cut herbs from authorized farmers’ markets and roadside stands. Additional resources in the form of nutrition educational materials including recipes, nutrient values, food preparation and storage information are also provided.
- Eligibility: age 60+ (or age 55+ if American Indian or Alaska Native) and income at or below 185% Federal Poverty Level:
- 1 person: $21,257 Annual; $1,771 Monthly
- 2 person: $28,694 Annual; $2,391 Monthly
- Eligible persons are provided with $40 in SFMNP checks, redeemable for the purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables at authorized Farmers Markets and/or Roadside Stands. SFMNP checks have a cash value of $4 each and come in books of $40 (10 checks each).
- SFMNP checks will be distributed on a first come/first serve basis, distributed via mail, throughout the month of June 2013.
- SFMNP checks are redeemable at authorized Farmers Markets and roadside stands from June thru October 2013.
- No cash change will be issued for purchases that are in an amount less than the value of the check(s), and no State or local taxes will be collected on purchases of food with checks.
- Caregivers or family members may purchase produce with the checks on behalf of eligible participants when a Proxy form is completed.
- Applications available beginning June 1, 2013.
LMTAAA contracts with Senior Services for South Sound to provide SFMNP services in Thurston and Mason Counties. For more information, please call (360) 586-6181 or visit http://www.southsoundseniors.org/.
In Lewis County, contact Catholic Community Services at (888) 976-0712 or visit http://www.ccsww.org/site/PageServer?pagename=seniors_lewiscountyseniorprograms.